Tyler Nelson started exploring, and skiing in the Colorado Rocky Mountains as a young child. An obsession with good skiing, climbing, and gnarly mountains drove him to the San Juans Mountains. He received a degree in Adventure Education at Fort Lewis College and has climbed in Africa, Mexico, and all over Colorado, Utah, New Mexico and Wyoming. Now, Tyler instructs and guides rock climbing, ice climbing, canyoning, and alpine backpacking trips for San Juan Mountain Guides. On his off time, depending on the season, you can find him tucked away on ski runs or alpine climbs deep in the San Juan Backcountry. … or, of course, enjoying life and eating good food in camp or at home in Durango.
- Started guiding in 2008
- Started with SJMG in 2011
- Education: BA Adventure Education – Fort Lewis College Durango, CO
- Certifications: AMGA SPI, WFR, Level 2 Avy
- Countries you have climbed in outside the US: Tanzania, Mexico, Spain
- Favorite Climb in Ouray: Lightline
- Best thing after climbing: Watch the sun set over desert towers