Learn to lead climb
get on the sharp end
If your goal is learning how to lead and tackle the rigors of multi-pitch climbing, then our Lead Climbing and Anchors class was designed specifically with you in mind. The goal of the course will be to help prospective leaders develop good habits in their quest to become well-rounded, competent, and strong lead climbers. Learn from Durango’s most experienced rock/mountain guides and AMGA Certified Rock Guides. The following topics will be covered in the progression:
- Protection Placement Strategies
- Multi-Pitch Systems
- Multi-Pitch Rappelling Tactics
- Mental Attitude and Focus
- Rescue Considerations
Just a quick word to say thanks for all you did to make my past several days truly rewarding. – D. Mrozek
Learn to lead Itinerary
Day 1Meet at our office at 0800 to finalize course paperwork. The group will then head to East Animas to begin the day’s instruction. We’ll begin to cover the topics listed above. The day will finish by 1600.
Day 2This day will be spent at East Animas climbing completing some mock leading to ensure that participants leave with a working understanding of a properly conducted lead climbing and protection placement techniques on traditional climbs.
Rock Climbing Equipment List
- Appropriate clothing
- Food & snacks
- Rain jacket
- Climbing Helmet
- Climbing Harness: with belay loop
- Climbing shoes or approach shoes: in which you can climb up to 5.7
- Assorted 24” and 48” runners: must have one 48” runner
- 5 or more non-locking carabiners
- 4 or more locking carabiners: the more, the better
- Belay/rappel device: such as the “Reverso”, “ATC”, etc.
- Cordelettes: 5m of 7mm Nylon Accessory Cord
Training & Follow Up Programs
As always, being in good physical shape is an important component of our our programs. A good mixture of cardiovascular fitness, muscular fitness, and especially core strength will help you to maximize the potential rewards that are possible on a great program.
1Before Your Trip
Participants should have previous rock climbing experience and should be able to top rope rock climbs at the 5.9 level. Participants should also be in good physical condition.
2Follow Up Programs
If and when I decide to tackle the big mountains I will call you guys for sure. I was very impressed with the guides and the service on my last class. Thanks again! – Chris N.
Durango, Colorado: Getting Here
Durango is located in the SW corner of Colorado, at the intersection of the sandstone towers of the desert, and the jagged, San Juan Mountains. A mecca for climbing, hiking, cycling, and foodies; make sure you plan to spend some time in town before and after your SJMG trip.
Flights: The best option for flying to the area is to fly into Durango – La Plata County Airport. Multiple airline options exist, and most connections originate from Denver, Phoenix, or Dallas. The airport is a 20 minute drive from our office. Many hotels offer a free shuttle pickup. Buckhorn Limousine offers a shuttle as well.
Driving: Below are some approximate driving times if you’d like to drive to Durango. If you plan on renting a car, please consider the winter weather when selecting your vehicle and at a minimum choose something that offers either front wheel or all-wheel drive.
- Denver, CO: 6 hours
- Albuquerque, NM: 3 hours
Hotels: Durango has a number of great hotels, suites, and vacation rentals for you to stay in while you’re in the area. Give our office a call at 800-642-5389 if you have any questions about what would suite you best for this trip! Below are just a few options catering to different lodging styles and preferences.
- Cost Includes:
- Guides/ instructors
- Group gear
- Not Included:
- Hotel costs before, during, or after the trips
- 3% land use surcharge, trip cancellation insurance
- Guide gratuity
- Registration and Cancellation:
- You will need to fill out our Domestic Registration Form, cancellation policy agreement, and liability waiver, and send it to us with a 50% deposit as early as possible prior to the course date. Balance is due on the first day of the course. Please click on our Registration/Travel link to access the required forms.