Dawn was born and raised in Brunswick Ohio. In 1996, at the age of 21 she moved to the Black Hills of South Dakota. This is where she learned to rock and ice climb. After 8 years in the hills, Dawn wanted to explore bigger mountains and more complex terrain. In 2004, Dawn moved to Bellingham Washington to begin a career as a mountain guide. She now lives the life of a mountain guide as a year-round resident of Ouray. In the spring and fall Dawn spends her time traveling and road tripping to different climbing destinations. Dawn has also competed in the Ouray Ice Festival Competition for the past 4 years, winning the women’s’ division in 2009.
Get to know Dawn Glanc:
1) Where are you from, where do you live? I am originally from Brunswick Ohio. I now live in Ouray, Colorado.
2) What is your guiding background? I graduated with an Outdoor Education Degree in 1998 and started Guiding just after school. I have guided in the Black Hills, Devils Lake, the North Cascades, Squamish, the Bugaboos, Red Rocks, Joshua Tree, Moab, The Sierra, The Tetons, and the San Juan Mountains. AMGA Certified Rock and Alpine Guide. Co-owner and Guide for Chicks Climbing and Skiing.
3) What do you love most about your job? I love working with people and watching their passion for climbing develop. It’s so rewarding to have clients smiling from ear to ear.
4) Climbing (rock, alpine, ice, expedition), skiing, canyoning experience? I have climbed rock across the United States and Alaska. I have traveled to Canada, Greece, Croatia, Montenegro, France, Italy and Sardinia to climb rock. I have traveled across the western United States to climb ice. I have also climbed ice in Canada, Norway, Iceland, France and Italy.
5) Favorite place to travel/climb/ski? I love traveling to Iceland to climb ice. The ice forms in beautiful wind sculpted masterpieces. Plus there are still many first ascents to be done.
6) Idea of a good time? Climbing with my good friends. And celebrating with a great meal afterwards.
7) Hobbies? Passions? Interests? I like to spend time hiking with my dogs. I enjoy going to the gym. I also like to cook for people.
8) Climbing/skiing goals? I have many climbing goals. For long term goals, I would like to climb around the world in adventurous new places on Rock and Ice.
9) Best qualities about you? I am funny.
10) What makes you stoked? What are you excited about? Bootie quake music and coffee start the stoke process. After that it is just surrounding myself with people who are also stoked about everything. I am also a strong advocate for women in climbing. I am a guide and Co-Owner of Chicks Climbing a Skiing. Chicks specializes in women’s only rock, ice and ski clinics.
11) What is most important to you? What do you value the most in a partner? Trust, honesty and integrity are the qualities that I look for in partners. Climbing partners are more than just a person you share a rope with. A true climbing partner is someone that mutually shares with you true friendship and respect.
- Started guiding in 1998
- Started with SJMG in 2005
- Education: BA in Outdoor Ed. Black Hills State University
- Certifications: AMGA Certified Rock & Alpine Guide, WFR, CPR, Level 3 Avy
- Countries you have climbed in outside the US: Canada, Europe, Norway, Greece, Iceland, Croatia, Sardinia, Montenegro
- Favorite climb in Ouray: Bird Brain Boulevard
- Best thing after climbing: When the car starts.