Ropes & rails adventure combo
Rock Climbing followed by a ride on the historic D&SNGRR
We have teamed up with The Durango & Silverton Narrow Guage Railroad (D&SNGRR) to offer the Durango area’s most unique adventure combo trip. Our Ropes & Rails trip combines some of Durango’s best outdoor activities in one adventure filled day. Get ready to have fun on a unique Durango adventure designed to introduce you to the incredible sport of rock climbing with a professional climbing guide!
Start your morning with a brisk rock climbing adventure at X-Rock and then travel to Silverton for lunch and shopping on your own before returning to Durango on the historic steam train! Perfect for groups and families! No experience necessary!!
This trip begins 0800 at the D&SNGRR parking lot where your guide will meet you and transport to the rock climbing area.
My 1/2 day rock climbing at East Animas was great. You guys run a wonderful operation. Thanks so much! – Patrick B.
Rock Climbing Equipment
- Clothes: for warm weather
- Water: 2 liters or more/ person
- Closed-toe shoes: for the approach hike; we will provide your climbing shoes
- Rain jacket
- Food & snacks
- Backpack: to put all this stuff in, plus the harness, helmet, and shoes we provide you
Can you climb a ladder? Are you excited to try new things? This would be awesome for you!
+Follow Up Programs
We very much enjoyed our time in Ouray! The private 2-day climbing program was impressive. Our guide, Mark, was/is an excellent teacher. He took the time to build the skills for each of us, listened to the concerns and course corrected to ensure we were achieving what we wanted to achieve. Basically, Mark rocks! We look forward to coming back. – J. Bowers, 2011 Private Program
Durango, Colorado: Getting Here
Durango is located in the SW corner of Colorado, at the intersection of the sandstone towers of the desert, and the jagged, San Juan Mountains. A mecca for climbing, hiking, cycling, and foodies; make sure you plan to spend some time in town before and after your SJMG trip.
Flights: The best option for flying to the area is to fly into Durango – La Plata County Airport. Multiple airline options exist, and most connections originate from Denver, Phoenix, or Dallas. The airport is a 20 minute drive from our office. Many hotels offer a free shuttle pickup. Buckhorn Limousine offers a shuttle as well.
Driving: Below are some approximate driving times if you’d like to drive to Durango. If you plan on renting a car, please consider the winter weather when selecting your vehicle and at a minimum choose something that offers either front wheel or all-wheel drive.
- Denver, CO: 6 hours
- Albuquerque, NM: 3 hours
Hotels: Durango has a number of great hotels, suites, and vacation rentals for you to stay in while you’re in the area. Give our office a call at 800-642-5389 if you have any questions about what would suite you best for this trip! Below are just a few options catering to different lodging styles and preferences.
- Expert Area Guides
- Transportation to the climbing area (X-Rock) from D&SNGRR parking lot
- All required equipment for rock climbing
- Transportation to Silverton
- D&SNGRR standard class train ticket (upgrades available for additional cost)
- Not Included:
- 3% land use surcharge
- Guide gratuity
- Registration and Cancellation:
- You will need to fill out our Domestic Registration Form, cancellation policy agreement, and liability waiver, and send it to us with a 50% deposit as early as possible prior to the course date. Balance is due on the first day of the course. Please click on our Registration/Travel link to access the required forms.