San Juan Tactical
Strategic Military Training Programs
San Juan Tactical programs have been developed to meet the unique needs of special operators and other government entities requiring movement and survival skills for extreme alpine environments – summer and winter. Our training grounds are like no other in the United States.
San Juan Mountain Guides is permitted to operate on over 5 million acres of rugged mountain terrain, with numerous training areas in high altitude environments that are capable of being accessed by foot, vehicle, helicopter, or high altitude aerial delivery. In addition to adverse alpine terrain we also are permitted to operate in a number of high desert locations in the Southwestern United States.
Our Mountain Range
The San Juan Mountain range boasts hundreds of peaks over 13,000 feet and average over 300 inches of snow annually. The high altitude winter environment is world renowned for our difficult to assess snowpack – if you can do it here, you can do it anywhere.
Additionally, scores of trail-less mountain basins, high mountain passes, and technical approaches and descents, along with our AMGA/IFMGA certified guides are sure to instill an advanced level of competency in each individual operator.
San Juan Tactical courses, instructors, and terrain are demanding of our participants on every level. We are committed to offering the best training available to our nation’s most elite warfighters and law enforcement personnel. We have previous experience training with a wide variety of Pararescue (PJ) Teams including the 38th RQS, 58th RQS, 48th RQS, 26th STS, 103rd RQS, and the FBI Hostage Rescue Team.
- 10 day tactical winter operations course including avalanche hazard assessment and movement protocols, improvised shelters, ice and snow climbing skills, and general winter mountaineering – concludes with a challenging 24 hour full mission profile in a remote wilderness setting.
- 10 day tactical summer operations course including route-finding and packing for ultralight mountain movement, streamlined strategies for complex terrain, assessing technical terrain from a distance, increasing speed and climbing systems for the summer alpine environment – concludes with a challenging 24 hour full mission profile in a remote wilderness setting.
- 5 day team ski travel in alpine terrain – this course focuses on efficient movement through high alpine avalanche terrain
- 1-3 day mechanized snow travel (snowmachine) – can be added as a module
- 1-3 day team technical ice/snow climbing skills – can be added as a module
- 1-3 day rock climbing for operators – focusing on simplified and improvised systems for ascending and descending groups through 3rd, 4th, and 5th class terrain – can be added as a module.
Customized programs are available
Please note that only qualified inquiries for these programs are accepted. All tactical programs are proprietary/confidential and only available to military and law enforcement personnel.